Please note that we will only consider applications from Illinois and Wisconsin.
This allows us to get to know you and assess your Siberian Husky "readiness." We cut no corners when it comes to finding the right owner for each dog. We think every husky is perfect, but every home is not - otherwise we wouldn't be needed! After applying, you will be contacted to set up a home visit.
We do an interview with ALL of the household members that is designed to help you understand the breed and their specific characteristics, and to make sure a Siberian Husky is suited to you. This also allows us to help determine which Siberian Husky is a good fit for your family.
Meet the Dogs:
After you have been approved for adoption, you will be able to meet the foster dogs. Our dogs are kept in a network of foster homes. You and your family, including any current pets, must be willing to drive to meet any specific dog you are interested in. If you wish to adopt, you will be asked to sign an Adoption Contract.
Suggested Minimum Adoption Donation:
- Birth through 6 months old - $300
- 7 months through 5 years - $195
- 6 years and older - $125
About the Dogs:
All dogs are:
- Spayed or neutered before adoption
- Evaluated for temperament and trainability
- Up to date on ALL shots, including Bordatella
- Heartworm tested and on preventative
- Microchipped for identification
Before applying, consider the following:
- Are all household members in agreement about adopting a SIberian Husky and willing to participate in a home visit?
- Are your current pets neutered, up to date on vaccinations, and current on heartworm preventative where appropriate?
- Are you ready to adopt within the next few weeks?
- Are your vet and personal references aware that they will be receiving a phone call from us?
- Adopt A Husky will not place dogs outside of its geographic area. We will only consider applications from Illinois and Wisconsin. If you are outside these areas, we are unable to assist you. Please see www.siberianrescue.com to find a rescue in your area.
Please keep in mind that we do not hold dogs for applicants while they go through the adoption process. We urge you not to set your sights on just one dog, as there may be someone further along in the process interested in that same dog. If that home is determined to be a good match, the dog will be adopted to them. We cannot discuss specific dogs until a home is approved.
Please also understand that Adopt A Husky is completely comprised of volunteers with busy schedules. If your references are unavailable, it will delay the process as your references must be contacted before moving forward. The entire adoption process takes time; we are unwilling to sacrifice being thorough when the dog's future is at stake.
We recognize that our application process is very in depth. Some have complained about how thorough we are, feeling that we should perhaps trust more and research less, but every process we have is in place to ensure that our dogs go to great homes that are educated about the breed and are able and willing to provide the love, care, and containment they need for life. Our promise to our dogs is simple: We will try our absolute best to ensure that their next home is their forever home. Our application and adoption process provide the tools for us to keep this promise.
Often we are asked, as foster homes, "How can you give up these dogs?" The truth is that it is very hard to bring a dog into your home, treat them as one of your own, love them, care for them, and teach them the skills they were not fortunate enough to learn in their previous home. Often, we are the ones who "fix" what caused the dog to be given up in the first place. We might also be called upon to teach the most important lessons to a dog who has had a rough start - trust and love. While it is the most rewarding thing in the world to see a dog change before your eyes, it makes it that much more difficult to say goodbye. The only way our foster homes can do this is by knowing that the organization has done their absolute best to screen the applicants and that *our* foster dog is going to a great home. Anything less than knowing that our dogs are going to wonderful homes would make fostering impossible.
We thank you for your time and patience throughout our process.
I Want to Apply:
Please apply online.